Friday, October 7, 2011

To Fly

There is so much to homeschooling that I can't even begin to write down the things that we learn together (mainly because it's hard to live life and catalogue everything)! I've also been deficient on the picture taking this week, so you'll just have to read this time.

Our book this week was, "The Glorious Flight" by Alice and Martin Provensen (c) 1983. This story is about an historical character by the name of Louis Bleriot, from Cambrai, France who was the first to fly across the English Channel in a plane of his own invention back in 1909. He overcame many obstacles to achieve this goal!

We talked about France again, and learned about the English Channel and where England is. We talked about how airplanes were very new and in the works at the time and how they didn't have jets and helicopters like we do today. We did some copy work of some of the descriptive writing from the book. Zoe is really getting good at tracing her letters! Zoe can now identify Onomatopoeia with no problem ("BOOM!"). We observed how some of the illustrations in the book looked a little strange, and talked about drawing things from different perspectives. Matthew did school with them today, and had a great time! They learned about Roman Numerals today, made paper airplanes and went to the park to learn Spanish with Nana and play on the playground. Wow, daddy has so much energy! I'm thankful for the times that he gets to spend with them.

Meanwhile, as I'm typing this, our little boy in utero is letting me know that he will be excited to enter into the world with our family (he moves a lot). The girls continue to be excited about the arrival of their baby brother, and Zoe has started a little tradition where every night she kisses my belly and says, "Good night baby brother." Then, Cameron follows suit and does the same. It's so adorable! I'm going to have to record it sometime so you can see what I'm talking about.

Well, you remember how I said I didn't have any pictures? I lied. Matthew told me he took a few today of our girl's cute faces. Then I took a few more. So, if you've stuck with it this far, here is your reward! :)

Our book








No comments:

Post a Comment